We have the resources in our county to be a top school system. Sadly, according to many important measures, OCS is failing our community.
A growing mountain of evidence shows that most teachers in OCS are not happy with their job.
Many citizens in our community are deeply concerned about the ways that district policies authorize and encourage school staff to come between parents and their own children.
Orange County Schools continues to see an increase in books and assignments that contain material that is considered by many to be obscene and otherwise inappropriate for K-12 public schools.
OCCIE (previously OCS Truth) is an independent coalition of citizens in our community.
Our mission is to promote and facilitate civic engagement for the purpose of protecting public values, cultivating unity, and enacting positive change in our community.
A primary focus of OCCIE is Public Education in Orange County, North Carolina.
- We want our children to achieve the highest performance and graduate with the most confidence and opportunities.
- We want our teachers to go to work every day, feeling truly happy and supported in their jobs.
Engagement: Tracking and Reporting
- Student wellness and outcomes
- Teacher wellness
- District funding and expenditures
- District and school policies
- Teaching curriculum, materials, and methodologies
- Board actions
Engagement: Solutions Development
- Policy review, analysis, and proposals
- Board candidate review and endorsements
OCCIE is involved in blocking recent attempts to abridge constitutional rights in Orange County, North Carolina.
- We will defend our rights to freedom of speech, freedom to peaceably assemble, and the freedom to petition our government.
- Monitor and report all activities by local boards related to attempts to abridge constitutional rights.
- Ensure that the community, at large, understands the actions that individual elected officials are taking to attempt to abridge constitutional rights.
- Raise funding and make preparations for litigation to repeal and/or defend citizens against violations of an unconstitutional ordinance.
Use the form below to get in touch, or send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org